Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > K1100 turbo track car build

adcyork

539 Posts
Member #: 6807
Post Whore

York

Some more progress over the last few weeks.

The intercooler turned from concept racing with only a one week turn around from sending the drawing to UPS dropping it off. All top notch work from those guys.

So I got on with chopping the inner wing to accommodate it. I'm still jigging it about at the moment to make sure it lines up with the plenum chamber but it fits as intended.

It's going to hang off four M8 posts bolted through the inner wing on bushes out of the standard mini top rad bracket. The pipe routing from the turbo looks like it will work with an elbow welded on the compressor housing which was the biggest worry I had.

The water hoses turned up with the IC hoses (although half the order was missing, hecne dodgy looking offcut block pipe). So I could get on with mocking all that up and it all fits nicely with the leccy davies craig pump. Need to get a header tank sorted now with 10mm in and 18mm out spigots.

Also finalised the fuel tank and swirl pot arrangement and had those bits made, another rapid turn around by concept. Facet pump - filter - swirl pot - bosch pump - fuel rail.

Next up was to mock up the cockpit to determine exactly where the tunnel and seal needed to be located on the toe board. Also needed to check how much the gear lever needed to be shortened and to make sure everything else felt in the right position. Made the throttle pedal a bit longer with a new pad to suit the willwood pedal locations.

A whole load other little jobs have been completed like welding over the LHD wiper holes, rear bulkhead holes, welding the new rear valance on, mounting the battery on the rear passenger side floor, etc.

I didn't realise the upper seat belt mounts were worth nearly a kilo!

theoneeyedlizard

7263 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Looking fantastic.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

I'm liking the reversed cooling setup, that idea might get stolen! lol

the intercooler might have worked better as a double pass, both pipes at the top... more room for a duct to the front

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

adcyork

539 Posts
Post Whore

York

On 15th Sep, 2015 Joe C said:
I'm liking the reversed cooling setup, that idea might get stolen! lol

the intercooler might have worked better as a double pass, both pipes at the top... more room for a duct to the front

Cheers for the encouragement chaps.

I did consider a twin pass arrangement but it worked out quite a bit worse for pressure drop after spinning the calcs. The lower hose is about 60mm away from the core right at the back of the end tank and angled away from the face of it. Plenty of room to fit the final section of the duct down there between them.

PS. cooling system patent pending *tongue*

Edited by adcyork on 15th Sep, 2015.

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

Going to be a high quality car! Loving the interior

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

adcyork

539 Posts
Post Whore

York

I've hit a bit of a snag with the intercooler pipework.

I've got next to no room to get a silicone hose and mikalor clamp on to the turbo between the exhaust manifold outer branch and the bulkhead. I had a back up plan for this where I'd have a piece of 51mm/2" pipe welded to the compressor housing to extent the spigot.

Thought it best to use the opportunity to get rid of a silicone elbow and have the spigot extension bent to a more ideal 75 deg angle.

Best quote i've had so far to make one off is north of 160 quid *Rofl!*

Does anyone have an capability to make this or know anyone who has?

Drawing:

Edited by adcyork on 16th Sep, 2015.

Jimster
Site Admin

9401 Posts
Member #: 58
455bhp per ton
12 sec 1/4 mile road legal mini

Sunny Bridgend, South Wales

some nice work here, whats the plans with the car, race car or track day? We are always looking for more minis in the welsh Saloon car championship

Team www.sheepspeed.com Racing

On 15th May, 2009 TurboDave said:

I think the welsh one has it right!

1st to provide running proof
of turbo twinkie in a car and first to
run a 1/4 in one!!

Is your data backed up?? directbackup.net one extra month free for all Turbo minis members, PM me for detials

JetBLICK

243 Posts
Member #: 1261

Droitwich

Try this guy maybe, when i was asking him about custom rollcage he said £15 per bend and the T45 tubing i was asking for was 20 per meter.. so based on that id say 160 is outrageous

http://www.tube-bender.co.uk/

adcyork

539 Posts
Post Whore

York

Jim, plan is for it to be a track car that would only need a fire extinguisher fitting to make it eligible for MSA race series yes. I've been keeping my eye on the WSCC. Are all the races held at Pembrey?

On 16th Sep, 2015 JetBLICK said:
Try this guy maybe, when i was asking him about custom rollcage he said £15 per bend and the T45 tubing i was asking for was 20 per meter.. so based on that id say 160 is outrageous

http://www.tube-bender.co.uk/

I found this guy during a google for places around coventry as he's only round the corner. He can't do this in aluminium though... cheers for the suggestion though

Jimster
Site Admin

9401 Posts
Member #: 58
455bhp per ton
12 sec 1/4 mile road legal mini

Sunny Bridgend, South Wales

most of them are at pembrey, but there is a meeting at combe and looking else where too

Team www.sheepspeed.com Racing

On 15th May, 2009 TurboDave said:

I think the welsh one has it right!

1st to provide running proof
of turbo twinkie in a car and first to
run a 1/4 in one!!

Is your data backed up?? directbackup.net one extra month free for all Turbo minis members, PM me for detials

adcyork

539 Posts
Post Whore

York

Managed to get some time to take some meat out of the inner door skins with the holes saw, fit the door cards up and work out a solution to the door release without using the heavy orignial mechanism that I can't reach with the harnesses done up.

I've ended up turning up some handles and welding a tang to the door catch to mount them on.

Also made up the last few bits (TB flange, IAT and MAP bosses, etc) and then had the final bit of welding done on the plenum.

Got a bracket made up to mount the master cyl reservoirs in the top corner and run the hoses through the bulkhead.

I've also started making up the dash. I wanted to retain the standard top dash rail and mod it to fit the cage tubes at either end then re-cover it in alcantara fabric. I've chosen 6mm ply for the dash in the interest of lightness. Mounted on some little dome head M6 bolts and the plan is to seal it smooth and paint in black crinkle paint to look like 60's era aviation equipment.

I have sorted a solution to the charge air pipe. It's being knocked up by Tom at tube-bender.co.uk who Jetblick suggested. He can't do ali so it's being made in stainless - means to an end.

I'm looking for some decent clocks without spending a small fortune. I want individual speedo and tacho of 80/100mm size. Preferably matching brands but can be different. I've got numerous 52mm gauges to mount in an array around them so I don't want a digidash of any kind.

Any suggestions?

mayoturbo

673 Posts
Member #: 1395
Post Whore

chepstow

looking good!

PhilR

696 Posts
Member #: 10034
Post Whore

Birmingham

Love the craftsmanship and attention to detail.

adcyork

539 Posts
Post Whore

York

Well, I've received the stainless pipe for the turbo outlet but it seems i've cocked up the measurements. It needed to be 120deg bend not 105deg as I'd measured - too many things not fixed down properly when i was measuring up.

I've had to cut the tube leg down to check fitment so I can't send it back to have it bent round a bit more either. Oh well.

A few places do Samco or Viper branded 120deg silicone bends in black but they cost the earth and have a 4 week lead time.

ASH do one for half the price but only in blue - http://www.autosiliconehoses.com/silicone-...-3-colours.html

Anyone got any other suppliers that might do one? Or any experience with wrapping silicone hoses to change the colour?

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

Try these guys, I have a couple from them for coolant.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/seller?sid=mkperforman...v=ORDER_DETAILS

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

I've not used them personally, but I have seen cars with their hoses fitted which seem OK, try Roose Motorsport in Lincoln, it would appear they manuafacture their own hoses, not just buying stuff in.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

jayme

84 Posts
Member #: 10547
Advanced Member

Northern Ireland

Hi mate, what kind of pedal box are you using? and what ratio is it?

Instagram: bighill93

jamiestevenbell

336 Posts
Member #: 9941

Derby

Theres also a silicone hose place in burton on trent! Called Derby performance hose! Good guys if you ring them they make virtually anything to order with reasonable turn around time

adcyork

539 Posts
Post Whore

York

I'm using the wilwood 6.25 ratio reverse mount pedal box.

On 7th Nov, 2015 jayme said:
Hi mate, what kind of pedal box are you using? and what ratio is it?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions on where to get the silicone hose. I ended up getting one direct from viper in black which arrived a couple of days later - not the cheapest option but cheaper than anywhere online and it arrived quick so I could test fit it all before I pulled all the subframe etc again to start making the down pipe.

I've recently started making the mould for the intercooler duct so I started out with a big block of styrofoam that I rough cut in to something close.

Next up was to make an absolute s**t tip of the work bench top and make a hot wire cutter from whatever I had lying around.

I was thinking that I might need a rheostat to control the current flow to the wire but a quick test with a small 4Ah motorcycle battery showed that the 0.8mm stainless mig wire was a good match for the battery so it didnt need one. Stayed hot enough for about 10 mins cutting before the battery was flat, plenty good enough. Work in progress.

With the subframe and associated gubbins out of the car I've got on with the down pipe and exhaust. Had to take a chunk out of the back of the subframe to clear the 2 1/4" pipe but I've got a plan to chuck some metal back in there to recover some stiffness.

The V-band and wastegate outlet into the down pipe are due to change position so that it will flow better but here it is mocked up

Rear box and centre pipe run before making the mounting ears. Glad I changed that rear spar of the subframe to the stiffer tube with the cut out and integral threads for the bobbins. It's allowed the exhaust to about half an inch higher.

Finished off the mounting solution for the fuel tank aswell. Just needs some ali spreader plates putting under the fixing points in the fibreglass floor panel.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Nice work, which exhaust is that?

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

adcyork

539 Posts
Post Whore

York

It's a bespoke setup I've made from individual components, mostly off ebay.

The back box is made from a 2 1/4" rolled tip pipe, ebay generic stainless straight through box of roughly the right volume and then a piece of swaged pipe on the front end. Then I've used some 4mm stainless plate for the mount tabs (not fitted yet in the pic)

Centre section is a straight section of pipe with a swage one end and a flexi decoupler spliced into it

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Ah yes i may of already asked you that question? Haha, dont suppose u know a link for the box etc.. ive tried searchin but just get tonnes of chavtastic stuff to siv through

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

great stuff,

one point, what are you doing with the wastegate outlet? open air or feeding into the down pipe?

if the latter, consider feeding it in a decent distance after the lambda sensor, as airflow past the valve guide can affect the lambda reading.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

JT

2742 Posts
Member #: 637
Post Whore

Hertfordshire

Lovley manifold chap!

My build thread..

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=542985

adcyork

539 Posts
Post Whore

York

On 10th Nov, 2015 D4VE said:
Ah yes i may of already asked you that question? Haha, dont suppose u know a link for the box etc.. ive tried searchin but just get tonnes of chavtastic stuff to siv through

Dont think so but I don't mind answering again.

I'm not using the size of box but this is the same seller:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Steel-...OwAAOxyeR9TLHP9

Rolled tip:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-25-Rolled-Out-...LHmbXJECXONmpew

On 10th Nov, 2015 Joe C said:
great stuff,

one point, what are you doing with the wastegate outlet? open air or feeding into the down pipe?

if the latter, consider feeding it in a decent distance after the lambda sensor, as airflow past the valve guide can affect the lambda reading.

Cheers for the heads up. Its for this reason I'm using v bands and two bolt flanges instead of slide joints - trying to make every effort to minimise air leaks.

The wastegate will be plumbed back into the down pipe as far downstream as possible, the images above were just a mock up with bits I had lying around to check v band clearance to the bulkhead.

The sensor will be immediately post turbo and due to the low back pressure 2 1/4" system I am hoping that there won't be much reverse flow

Home > Show Us Yours! > K1100 turbo track car build
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: